It’s almost that time of year again. But I would like to point out, I am not talking about *whispers in exaggerated tones* New Years Resolutions! No. For me this is more of a birthday resolution or promise to myself. I am now one year older and a teeny tiny bit wiser to who I am and what I want in life and I have come to the conclusion that, despite going overseas a few times, I will never catch the travel bug. And that’s fine. Travel is not for everyone and certainly not for me. I can accept that. Happiness comes in many forms. It’s up to us to follow it our way.
And with that in mind I have found a different bug more suitable for me: the adventure bug. That’s a thing, right? *crickets* Anywho, this is where my birthday promise kicks in. Instead of watching life go by or relying on other people’s participation for my own happiness I am going to jam as many experiences, new skills and other changes into 2017 as I can physically (and financially) afford to. And if I have to do it alone, without any friends or loved ones keeping me company then so be it. I’ve got this.
Technically this has already started. But “Looking at the present and ahead” really didn’t sound like a great title. So, you know, let’s focus on 2017 for the most part. I’ve made a list, checked it twice (Christmas reference intended) and put it into motion. On my birthday (I’m a December baby) I did a rap jump (forward rappel down a building). It was fun. I was the only one out of a group of six who didn’t bring anyone with them for moral support or picture taking but I survived the awkwardness. Which is the whole point of this little project. Change. Living outside the comfort zone. A moment or two of feeling like a loner really is a small price to pay for a positive and motivating experience. Check. Next!
Now, I know what you’re thinking: “Umm, great story, Tara but how does that affect us?” Great question. Thanks for asking. All it means for you guys is… more posts! *cheesy car salesperson grin* No, really. It’s a good thing. I swear. Because the more I do the more I will write. Which will either be useful for you or entertaining as I epically (and embarrassingly) fail from time to time. It’s me, so it’s a given there will be awkward moments captured for you all to relate to or roll your eyes at.
So, as a sneak peak into the list I’ve made, here are some items I hope to get to before 2017 runs out:
- Visit a chiropractor: I hate my posture (I have a stooped neck) and I am curious as to what a chiropractor does and whether it helps. I have a funny feeling my posture is tied into my self esteem so this might be useful to boosting my confidence.
- Learn to drive a manual: oh god. I am picturing a lot of stalling and gear crunching. Heaven help us all.
- Attend a spin/cycle class: will it be a Bridget Jones moment once the wheels stop spinning? Most likely.
- Cooking lessons: because apparently microwave foods and easy meals don’t count. Pfft. Thanks cooking police.
- Stunt car driving: which I can’t do until I learn manual. Damn it.
- Tandem skydive: Because we should all throw ourselves out of a plane once.
- In chair teeth whitening: because Ross from Friends is my secret hero. Hmmm. That’s a lie.
- Stuntman lessons: injury may ensue but oh it sounds fun.
- Horse riding lessons: because I would like to graduate past being able to rise to the trot and see what cantering and galloping is like.
- Snowboarding and skiing: if I face plant I can always make face first snow angels. So it really is a win win situation.
- Tree surfing and zip lining: *Tarzan’s war cry*
- Parkour: I’ve looked up videos and places that teach parkour and it looks like a lot of jumping over park benches and bouncing off buildings etc. I have no idea if anyone other than teenage boys do this near where I live so this could be awkward. But hey, I only have to show up once and give it a try. Maybe I’ll bribe a friend to come with me.
- Acrobatic gymnastics: because who hasn’t dreamed of running away and joining a circus? *raises hand*
There are many more little items on the list and places to visit. Though I’m not going to list them all. Guess you’ll just have to check back here from time to time to see what I get up to… or follow me if you haven’t already *wink*